A Skilled Lawyer Guiding You Through Divorce And All Family Law Situations

Answers To Frequently Asked Family Law Questions In New Jersey

Sooner or later, most people will encounter a legal problem that involves their family. If you have run into one, you probably have many questions. At Patti Family Law, our attorney, John Patti, has answers. From divorce to child custody, he has helped hundreds of clients in the Red Bank area and Cape May County understand their options and rights.

On this page, we have provided answers to some of the questions that he hears most frequently.

How is marital property divided in a New Jersey divorce?

New Jersey is an equitable distribution state. This means that all marital property – or property acquired after the marriage – is subject to division. However, equitable division does not necessarily mean 50-50. One spouse may receive more assets than the other depending on factors such as income and contribution to the marriage.

What happens if a divorcing couple owns a business?

If one spouse started the company before the marriage, then it may remain separate property. However, the business earnings accumulated during the marriage may be subject to division. If the business was founded after the marriage or the other spouse contributed to it during the marriage, then the court may consider the business marital property.

Do I really need a lawyer to handle my divorce?

The internet has made it easier than ever to find do-it-yourself divorce advice, but you should always have an attorney to represent you. Your attorney can help you navigate the law, stand up for yourself and avoid expensive errors that you may make on your own. In addition, some courts may not honor documents not prepared by a lawyer.

What happens if I need to modify my child custody order?

You have the right to seek a modification if the life circumstances of you or your co-parent have changed significantly. This may include:

  • Relocation
  • Job change or job loss
  • Remarriage
  • Incarceration
  • Substance abuse
  • Domestic violence

Judges understand that life often changes drastically. With the assistance of an attorney, you can petition the court to amend your existing custody order.

Still Have Questions? Ask In Person.

These are only a few of the questions that Mr. Patti often hears from our clients. You can ask more questions via email, phone or an in-person consultation. To get more answers to your family law inquiries, contact Patti Family Law. Call us at 732-913-3631 or use the online contact form.